Before starting their placement, the students will have completed the initial taught programme - please see the carriculum here. The taught programem is designed to furnish the Research Engineers with the skills to excel in their indstrial research project.
Consortia (multi-sponsor) projects are encouraged to enable research topics of wide interest to be addressed. Proposals are expected to fit with the vision of IDCORE as well as with the needs of the industrial sponsor.
- Significant leverage on research investment.
- Involvement in Research Engineer recruitment.
- High quality researchers dedicated to your organisation's research.
- Opportunity to guide Research Engineer training.
- Participation in IDCORE activities such as the Interdisciplinary Group Project and the annual assembly/company day.
- Added value through interaction with other IDCORE Research Engineers and their sponsors.
- Opportunities to coordinate research efforts across the sector.
- Collaborating with leading academic researchers and institutions.
- Access to world class research facilities.
- A high profile national programme.
All projects will be covered by an Engineering Doctorate Research Agreement between the Research Engineer, IDCORE academic partners and the sponsoring company. It is expected that the Research Engineer will assign the IP to the hosting company and should the IP be successfully commercialised by the sponsor, the Research Engineer will be suitably compen-sated. The agreement will also include confidentiality obligations (NDA).
Cost & Requirements
Funding requirements will be project specific and should be discussed with the academic partner supervising the work. However, a minimum contribution of £45k over three years per Research Engineer is requested from project sponsors who are not members of the ETI. Fully funded projects where the sponsor covers the full cost of the student's fees & stipend as well as the incidental costs of the research are welcome.
Sponsoring companies need to provide the Research Engineer with a place to work and with day-to-day industrial supervision to support the academic supervision provided by the partner Universities.